Have you ever wanted to build and decorate a life-size cardboard boat and race it across Potter Lake? Now SUA is giving you a chance to make that dream a reality! The Potter Lake Cardboard Boat Regatta is for all KU students. If you’re competitive, creative, artsy and not afraid of a little water, we’ll see you at Potter Lake!
Please see below the Rules and Regulations for constructing your boat:
- Form a team with friends or build your own boat. Teams can have a max of 5 members.
- Only one rider may ride inside the boat in the water at a time.
- Rider may use one single-ended paddle to drive boat, these will be provided.
- Rider must be wearing a life jacket and shoes at all times when on the water, life jackets will be provided.
- Rider must be visible inside the boat and cannot be seated below the top of the boat (no overhead covers).
- Rider must stay inside the boat at all times on the water. Team will be disqualified if rider falls out.
- Boat decorations are encouraged and can be made using any material as long as they do not aid in the floatation or functionality of the boat.
- Boat itself must be built using cardboard (corrugated sheets, cardboard blocks, cardboard tubes, etc.), duct tape and basic adhesives only.
- Boats will be checked before racing.
The following materials are not allowed and will result in disqualification if used:
- waxed or pre-treated cardboard
- plastic bags
- clear packing tape
- electrical parts
- caulking or two-part adhesives (wood glue and basics adhesives are allowed to join cardboard pieces).
- Boat cannot be completely wrapped in duct tape. Duct tape may only be used to join cardboard panels.
- Varnish, paint, or polyurethane may be used to waterproof the boat.
All materials must be removed from Potter Lake and surrounding areas at the end of the race. If boat is not properly disposed of and team wins an award, award will be taken away and given to runner up.
- No drinking or drugs in the vicinity of the event.
- People may not enter the water while not racing.
- A lifeguard will be on duty.